Robertson Lodge No. 292 G.R.C.
Founded 1873 Installation is in September Official Visit is in April
Meeting on 3rd Saturday of the Month (except July, & August) at 10:00 AM
at the Aurora Masonic Hall
57 Mosely St., Aurora
|Officers for 2014-2015|
|Worshipful Master||W. Bro. Gavin Upton|
|Immediate Past Master||W. Bro. Robert Niddery|
|Senior Warden||Bro. Peter Mitchell|
|Junior Warden||Bro. Venancio Viguilla|
|Chaplain||Bro. Ronino Santos|
|Treasurer||Bro. Konrad Karunaratne|
|Secretary||V.W. Bro. Frank MacLean|
|Senior Deacon||Bro. Graham Wong|
|Junior Deacon||Bro. Eren Girgin|
|Director of Ceremonies||W. Bro. William Wolf|
|Inner Guard||Bro. Robert Paterson|
|Senior Steward||Bro. Romelito Reyes|
|Junior Steward||Bro. Andrew Redelmeier|
|Tyler||W. Bro. Justin Schmidt|
|Assistant Secretary||V.W. Bro. Fred McIntosh|
|Historian||Bro. Douglas Barcham|
|Organist||R.W. Bro. Walter Rawlins|
|Piper||R.W. Bro. Kenneth Bice|
G.R.C. No. 292
Robertson Lodge enjoyed a great period of activity in the early years after the Lodge was formed. Originally located in Nobleton, it was granted its Charter in 1873 and was named after the D.D.G.M. Right Worshipful Brother Henry Robertson (Portrait Shown Above). The first Lodge Master was the Worshipful Brother Joseph Smelser.
In May of 1887 a building lot was purchased on Highway 27 just north of King Road in Nobleton, and on June 1st of that year a tender was let for the erection of a lodge building. It was 24′ x 40′ in size and built with 12″ thick walls of brick. At a cost of $900.00 dollars, the building was completed in 1888. Worshipful Brother Arch Campbell was the Lodge Master to officiate at the opening of this building.
However, hard times befell Robertson Lodge. In 1895 it was no longer able to support the costs of maintaining the building and the Lodge moved to King City. The building in Nobleton was sold in the year 1900 to the Loyal Orange Lodge of that community. Unfortunately, Robertson Lodge’s first building was demolished in March of 2006 to make way for land redevelopment.
Having moved to King City , Robertson Lodge held its meetings in rented premises, but in 1921 a building lot was purchased on Doctor’s Lane. On the 20th of October 1922 a new Lodge building was dedicated by Right Worshipful Brother J.H. Dunlop P.D.G.M. Cost of this building was $3,994.00 cash and a “great amount of donated labour”. It was home to Robertson Lodge for 80 years. Once again, financial difficulties forced the sale of their Lodge building. This took place in 2001.
The sale eased the financial difficulties but morale was still low and “going dark” was discussed as a serious possibility. A vote to close the lodge was held. The vote was in favour of closure, but there was not a sufficient majority to finalize the move. Then a group of Masons headed by Lodge Master V. Wor. Bro. Frank MacLean undertook a program of revitalization. It was successful, and ultimately has made this group one of the most active and growing Lodges in the Greater Toronto Area.
Since 2002 Robertson Lodge No. 292 G.R.C. has resided at the Aurora Masonic Hall, 57 Mosley Street in Aurora, which it shares with The Rising Sun and Delta Lodges. Robertson Lodge holds its regular meetings, at 10.00 a.m. on the third Saturday of each month, September through June.