Rowland Lodge No. 646 G.R.C.
Founded 1927 Installation is in December Official Visit is in March
Meeting on 1st Tuesday of the Month (except July, & August) at 7:30 PM
at the Mount Albert Masonic Hall
70 Main St., Mount Albert
|Officers for 2018-2019|
|Worshipful Master||W. Bro. Terry Russell|
|Immediate Past Master||W. Bro. Curtis Sooley|
|Senior Warden||Bro. Jason Dent|
|Junior Warden||Bro. Michael Wintjes|
|Chaplain||W. Bro. Elwood Kirton|
|Treasurer||Bro. Walter Kay|
|Secretary||Bro. Robert Head|
|Senior Deacon||Bro. William Mullett Jr.|
|Junior Deacon||Bro. Richard Ayotte|
|Director of Ceremonies||Bro. Caleb Riches|
|Inner Guard||Bro. Brad Dawson|
|Senior Steward||Bro. Gregory Ayotte|
|Junior Steward||Bro. Marcus Derry|
|Tyler||Bro. Dwayne Scarlett|
|Historian||V.W. Bro. Jack Hopkins|
Rowland Lodge G.R.C. No. 646 was constituted on October 22nd, 1928 and was named after Most Worshipful Brother John Albert Rowland. Born in the Township of Scott in Ontario County, Rowland was considered a native son of Mount Albert, being raised there and having received his early education there. After training in Law at Osgoode Hall in Toronto, and after taking graduate studies at the University of California, he was called to the Bar of Ontario in 1900.
He was initiated into Masonry at Harmony Lodge in Toronto in 1902 and served there as Worshipful Master in 1910. Later, in 1916 he served as D.D.G.M. for Toronto Centre District, was first Worshipful Master at Metropolitan Lodge in Toronto in 1918, and was also appointed to the Board of General Services of Grand Lodge in that year. He served as Deputy Grand Master in 1923 and as Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario from 1925 to 1927. He concluded this outstanding career of service by accepting an appointment as Grand Treasurer of Grand Lodge, in which capacity he served for eight years. Active in other Masonic organizations, he was also elected as a 33rd Degree Mason. He passed to the Grand Lodge above on April 18th 1942.
On the 7th of October 1927 the Grand Master, M.W. Bro. John S. Martin, issued a Dispensation authorizing the formation of Rowland Lodge. The first Master of Rowland Lodge was Worshipful Brother R.H.Tinsdale who hosted the early meetings of the charter members in his print shop. Discussions on financing of the new Lodge and on ways to meet the other needs of this new Lodge were carried on there. It is reported that when it came time to appoint the first officers of the Lodge, the group met at the print shop where they sat in a circle. Brother Tinsdale started by appointing the Senior Warden, then Junior Warden, Senior Deacon, et cetera, selecting the officers in the order in which they sat in the circle. In this alignment, each eventually became a Master of the Lodge.
The Charter of Rowland Lodge was granted at a meeting of Grand Lodge in London, Ontario on the 17th day of July 1928. On October 22, 1928 the Lodge was regularly constituted, consecrated and dedicated by Most Worshipful Brother John Albert Rowland.
History of Mount Albert Masonic Hall
Early meetings of the charter members of Rowland Lodge took place in the print shop of R.H. Tinsdale. A former school Principal in Mount Albert, Tinsdale became the first Master of the new Lodge when it was instituted in 1928. In his shop they discussed the many topics involved in setting up the new organization. At that time the United Church was merging two local churches, the Presbyterians and the Methodists. The local Presbyterian Church building was considered by the committee and purchased for $1,800.00 dollars. One of the Lodge Brothers, Oscar Dike, was a master carpenter and made all the furniture for the Lodge, including the Altar. This facility served Rowland Lodge until 1945.
At that time it became financially attractive to sell the building and apply the proceeds to the construction of the structure shown above. From the sale price of $4,500.00 the outstanding mortgage of $1,800.00 was discharged, the lot at 70 Main Street was purchased. A building located north of the community was purchased and moved to the new location. Most of the labour and materials needed to complete the project were supplied by the members. The building was dedicated on April 2, 1946.
An unexpected turn of events in 1988 led to the acquisition of “new” furniture for the Lodge. The York Masonic Temple on Millwood Drive Leaside was closing one of the two sanctuaries in their building to allow for an extension to the building. The furniture in this sanctuary was made available on rather short notice to Rowland Lodge. Their members removed it just before the arrival of the wrecking crew. The chairs and benches were massive, but were successfully transferred to Mount Albert. Close examination of this furniture reveals that it was probably upholstered three times, an indication that it is likely much older than was thought. It may well be it was originally from yet another Lodge, older than York Masonic Temple. Brother Dike’s furniture was not discarded. It is still in the Lodge, in the ante-room of the Mount Albert Temple Sanctuary.